Public Services > Central Government

Total G-Cloud spend climbs to £1.26bn after data publication delay

Neil Merrett Published 13 July 2016

First update of government figures in over two months also finds overall spending through the outgoing digital services framework climbing to £68m

Total G-Cloud sales up to June this year have reached £1.26bn, according to the first monthly Digital Marketplace spend figures to be published since May 6.

At present, lifetime spend figures for the framework that launched four years ago have climbed from £1.14bn at the end of March 2016, with 53% of total sales on a value basis being awarded to small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs).  On a volume basis,  62% of total sales went to SMEs over the same period of time.

As of June, 77% of total demand for services through the framework has been driven by central government, with the wider public sector accounting for the remainder.

Meanwhile, sales through the Digital Services framework (DSf), which is being phased out in favour of the now available Digital Outcomes and Specialists (DOS) agreement, reached £68.2m. 

According to the government, 40% of business obtained through DSF was awarded to SMEs.

Of this overall demand, 73% of sales were made by central government organisations.  The remaining 27% was attributed to the wider public sector.

The spend figures,  which are intended to be published monthly, had not previously been updated since May 6 when data up to the end March 2016 was released for G-Cloud and the DSF, which are both hosted via the Digital Marketplace platform.

Authorities have provided no reason for the delay in updating the information, although the Cabinet Office has maintained that there had been no change with regards to the reporting or publication processes for organisational spend through the two agreements.

Meanwhile, efforts continue to overhaul the procurement of services through the Digital Marketplace, with the eighth iteration of G-Cloud set to go live next month.  At the same time, the Government Digital Service (GDS) is in the process of reviewing user and suppliers needs to help inform a more significant overhaul of the framework before launching a tender for G-Cloud 9.

Related articles:

G-Cloud spend figures now two months out of date

G-Cloud 8 application deadline extended

"Earliest usable" Digital Outcomes and Specialists agreement goes live








We have updated our privacy policy. In the latest update it explains what cookies are and how we use them on our site. To learn more about cookies and their benefits, please view our privacy policy. Please be aware that parts of this site will not function correctly if you disable cookies. By continuing to use this site, you consent to our use of cookies in accordance with our privacy policy unless you have disabled them.