Home Office recruits for top IT engineering and architecture roles
Department searches for Lead Architect for Borders IT, and Head of Engineering & Architecture
The Home Office is recruiting for two senior positions: a lead architect for Borders IT, and a head of engineering & architecture at the department.
Both will be based at Marsham St in Westminster and Lunar House in Croydon and both will carry £100,000 salaries.
The Lead Architect’s role will be responsible for establishing and building a new architecture function for Borders IT, providing overall technology leadership at an enterprise level. The new function will span all existing and new programmes of work, ensuring governance, standardisation and technical integration across a large portfolio. Effectively, the person will build the technical blueprint and overarching architecture strategy, looking for synergies, reusable services, connectivity and efficiencies across Borders IT.
The scope of the role encompasses enterprise, business, application, data and security architecture.
There are five portfolios within Borders IT: DSAB, Digital Permissions, Digital Passenger Services, Cyclamen and Small Border Force Specific Projects.
The main responsibilities will include:
- Creating the architecture and technical road map.
- Cultivating strong relationships with a wide range of stake-holders across Border Force, as well as the wider HO Technology Architecture team.
- Developing and maintaining current and future state business & technical architectures for Border Force.
- Perform gap analysis on current systems to recommend architecture, design and planning of complex custom software solutions or modifying package solutions, creating synergies across the function
- Working with Border Force, and Home Office Digital Data and Technology Portfolio Office, and Finance partners to prioritise strategic projects.
- Providing architectural leadership to programs, projects and initiatives.
The closing date for applications is May 15, with a shortlist meeting the following week and final panel interviews to be held in mid-June.
The Head of Engineering & Architecture role has a similar application closing date and interview timetable. He or she will have responsibility for ensuring the quality, timeliness and consistency of the department’s technical architecture and engineering excellence.
The role, which will be based at a newly created Centre of Excellence for Engineering and Architecture, is intended to drive transformation by modernising the department’s business systems, helping to simplify and improve the services it provides.
The head of engineering and architecture will report directly to the chief digital data and technology officer and manage a team of between 30-40 architects and engineers. The architecture and engineering role's key responsibilities include
- Designing and implementing mission critical systems at scale; develop and maintain detailed knowledge and documentation of technologies and architecture;
- Developing and maintain a pipeline and time-lined architectural roadmap for the organisation; develop a plan to identify and replace all legacy systems;
- Develop and implementing architectural and engineering metrics and reports for the team, together with business and policy owners; document all exceptions to architectural standards;
- Providing architectural consulting to programmes and projects, and ensuring the technical architects in those programmes and projects are aligned with Home Office wide standards;
- Baselining, maintaining, developing and implementing an organisation-wide data and metadata architecture;